Name:________________________ 300 EXAM 1
Directions: For the questions on this page, fill in the blanks on the answer sheet, by using the answers found at the bottom of this page. For each question please indicate in which column the best answer can be found. Answers may be (and some are) used more than once. IF YOU BELIEVE THAT ANY QUESTION IS SERIOUSLY FLAWED, PLEASE CIRCLE THE ANSWER ON YOUR ANSWER SHEET AND WRITE A BRIEF ESSAY ANSWER ON THE BACK OF THE ANSWER SHEET
1. According to the taxonomy of communication, argumentation falls under the category of___communication, and
2. ____falls under the category of specific areas of speech communication research.
3. Whereas a___is a symbol whose range is restricted and, hence to which only one value may be assigned, a
4. ____is a symbol to which two or more values may be assigned.
Consider this hypothesis: Men with high self esteem will experience higher communication satisfaction with instructors who use the lecture method of instruction than will men with low self esteem.
5. The independent variable is______.
6. The dependent variable is_______.
7. In this hypothesis, the (otherwise) variable of___is held constant.
8. This hypothesis is an example of a___hypothesis.
9. The____ period featured the founding of communication theory by linking communication to the study of
11. In the___period, major attention was paid to the development and use of the canons of rhetoric.
12. ___defined rhetoric (communication) as
14. Though at one time___attacked the study of communication as “not an art,” he subsequently speculated on the characteristics of the ideal study of rhetoric.
15. _____was the first public school teacher who synthesized the thinking of classical period in his writing.
16. _____not only saved the study of communication during the dark ages, but he also made it possible for the early Church to maintain its audience by finding ways to teach rhetorical principles by reference to Christian examples.
17. Communication Monographs is published by the____.
18. Look at this problem question: What is the relationship between high intelligence and self esteem? As developed in class, this problem statement is flawed because it does not____, and it
20. To find problem questions worth asking, it is useful to ask what issues originally____.
21. In a literature review, researchers argue why current study is invited, often by showing how new research would__.
22. The____section of a research article interprets study findings.
23. The____library search strategy is recommended when you do not yet have an extensive background on the topic.
24. If you find that "there is no information on my topic" you should try to use the____search pattern.
25. According to the collected code of ethics for social science researchers, ethical issues must be considered from the perspective of the___society.
26. To find definitions of key
concepts and variables, you should search in____and specialized dictionaries and
27. To find unpublished research materials, such as convention papers, you should check____.
28. Researchers test reports by asking if the reporter___.
29. ____methods of study use descriptions of observations expressed in predominantly non-numerical terms.
30. ____methods are techniques that involve carefully recorded observations that provide quantitative descriptions of
relationships among variables.
specific to general
has any biases
is not a communication
does not cohere with data
have at least two
known to unknown
applying reason to
imagination for the better
moving of the will
fill a gap in knowledge
speech and hearing
drew you to the field
on this list
DIRECTIONS: For the questions on this page, fill in the blanks on the answer sheet, by using the answers found at the bottom of this page. Answers may be used more than once.
31. Researchers sometimes mistakenly investigate___statements, such as definitions,
32. tautologies, and____.
33. To conduct searches of electronic data bases, you should (1) selecting keywords, (2) find____,
34. (3)____, and (4) undertake online activity.
35. When literature reviews present study results in their order of publication, the____summary strategy is being used.
36. The strategy described in the last question___recommended for most literature reviews.
37. To test the credibility of opinion information, one should ask if the opinion maker is____.
38. Given the choice, researchers prefer to place greatest reliance on___sources rather than
40. The major premise of a conditional syllogism is a____.
41. When doing library searches you should try to find definitions of key concepts and variables,____, summary
statements that people seem to have made about the subject, classic research studies on the subject, research that shows what methods to use, and research that shows what mistakes to avoid.
42. Using a full outline format helps to make a selective bibliography,____, to provide vehicle for flow of
thought, and to observe important phenomena
43. The____is the logic that is used in the hypothesis, methods, and discussion of results section of research articles that test hypotheses.
Look at this line of reasoning: If the facilitated communication method is effective, then therapists will report that their autistic patients have reported cases of child abuse to them. Patients have reported cases of child abuse to facilitated communication therapists. Therefore, the facilitated communication is effective.
44. This reasoning is an example of the___.
45. Unfortunately, the reasoning exhibits the logical fallacy of____.
is too wordy
to read selectively
there are so few examples
affirming the consequent
in the minor premise
there are so
ways concepts and
variables have been
measured and studied
not on this
ESSAY QUESTION: What is research in speech communication? I am asking for the New Orleans Conference definition. Do not change any wording.
(sort of)Extra Credit Essay: If you have studied something that was not on this exam (and I have left some for you) please take the opportunity to write a question on this topic and answer it. Write your answer on the back of the sheet containing the essay. Limit: 2.